If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (972) 548-6044

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration


9/12/2022 (Permalink)

The Hidden Fire Sources in Your Home

Do You Know What They Are?

Candles, overloaded electrical outlets, and malfunctioning appliances are the most common sources of home fires and ones most people think of. However, other items commonly found in your home can be a dangerous fire hazard and are often overlooked. SERVPRO of Northeast Collin County/Greenville has put together a helpful list of potential home fire hazards often hidden from homeowners. (972)548-6044

Hidden Fire Sources

Are you aware that the following items in your home are potential fire hazards?

Batteries – The fire risk potential is possible with batteries, even weak charged batteries. The battery type with the highest fire risk potential is the 9-volt due to the proximity of its terminals. It is not recommended to store batteries in metal containers. Original packing is the best storage option.

Dryer Lint – If you do not have your dryer vent or ductwork cleaned regularly, then a fire could be just a matter of time. Dryer lint can result in heat buildup and eventually, a fast-moving fire.

Microwaves – Microwaves have many ways to start a fire. Popcorn that is cooked too long. Undetected metals on dinnerware, takeout containers can result in arcing, sparks, and fire. Immediately turn off the microwave if a fire starts. Do not open the door until the fire is suffocated. Regular cleaning will also reduce fire potential. Never use a malfunctioning microwave. Replacement is the best option.

Light Bulbs – The fire hazard with light bulbs is typically when using a light bulb with a wattage too high for a given outlet. When using CFLs (compact fluorescents), make sure they are being used properly. LED bulbs should be used when a bulb with a cooler option is needed.

Newspaper or Magazine Stacks – This is an obvious fire source if stored next to a heat source. Paper products should be stored in a cool, dry place in short stacks.

Laptops – Do not use a laptop on a bed or couch where the cooling vents are blocked. Laptops tend to run hot, and blocked vents exacerbate the situation.

Heating Blankets and Pads – Promptly replace defective or old heating blankets or pads. Improper usage can increase the risk of fire. Make sure and adhere to the manufacturer’s operating instructions. Recommended use is on the lowest setting for no longer than the recommended time. When washing, do not dry, iron, or dry clean.

Dust - Dust bunnies are fire hazards around electronics, sockets, and heaters, which can ignite and start a fire. Regularly vacuuming will reduce the fire potential — dust near outlets, wires, and appliances, including crevices and areas behind furniture.

Finally, check old appliances for worn insulation and decaying wiring. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Know the Hidden Fire Sources

Don’t let your home be an accident waiting to happen. SERVPRO of Northeast Collin County/Greenville can help in providing the information you need to make sure your home is safe.  Call today (972)548-6044

Other News

View Recent Posts